Broughton Kirk is a Registered Scottish Charity SCO 030062
Broughton is the largest village in the charge. There is a primary school, a shop, a tearoom / bistro, a minibus & taxi hire business and a garage which incorporates the post office. A small brewery in Broughton produces cask-conditioned ales. Several residents are self-employed, working locally, and some commute to work.
Visitor attractions include the John Buchan Centre (staffed by volunteers); the Glenholm Center with wildlife, computer-training and guest house facilities; the Broughton Gallery and Tom Shearer’s colourful garden. A recently refurbished village hall hosts over 30 clubs and societies including badminton, carpet bowls, choral society, SWRI, and Guild. There is trout and salmon fishing on the Tweed.
In 1794 the Presbytery of Biggar united the congregations of Broughton, Glenholm and Kilbucho. Broughton Kirk had been rebuilt around 1760. It was then at the north end of the village where St. Llolans Cell, which may havebeen a burial aisle, remains. Each Easter Morning there is an open air service in the ruins of Glenholm Kirk.
The present church was completed in 1804. The most recent of many changes to the building over the years have been the provision of a door for access for disabled, rearrangement of some pews to provide a gathering area for coffee, meetings etc. and the installation of a fine organ (from local fund-raising), and a new lighting system.
The current membership is 171 plus several who attend fairly regularly but are not members. There is a church service at 10am every Sunday.