Welcome to Tweedsmuir. We are a scattered rural settlement about 14 miles north of Moffat. Although small in number, the ever strong and resilient community raised substantial funds to upgrade our village hall, repair the Kirk and are currently working to create a community hub at the former Crook Inn.
Tweedsmuir Kirk sits in a beautiful pastoral setting on a mound between the River Tweed and Talla Water. The striking Kirk is built of red sandstone from Locharbriggs quarry near Dumfries and local dark grey whinstone The golden cockerel wind vane on the high bell tower can be seen from the main road linking Edinburgh to the south of Scotland. The Kirk was built between 1874-76 and extensively renovated in 2000, replacing a much earlier church on the same site dating back to 1643.
We have a very interesting history. It was said that during the Covenanter period, the congregation was resourceful and services of baptisms and communion took place at secret meetings in hidden glens, well concealed caves and remote buildings. The history of Tweedsmuir Kirk, the stained glass and the surrounding Graveyard has been researched and is available in the Kirk or at www.ajbhope.net/listed-buildings-in-tweedsmuir/
The friendly, open, welcoming congregation includes farmers, self-employed, retired professionals, tradesmen, students and children who are willing to take part in church services. Our kirk is open every day and comments in the visitors’ book show we have tourists from all over the world. There is always space in the car park and in the pews for visitors and time for a chat both before and after the service at 10am each Sunday
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org